VCDSA was advised today by our insurance brokers, JHC Benefits, that Anthem, Inc., the parent company of Anthem Blue Cross, was the victim of a highly sophisticated cyber attack. You may have seen or heard this in the news. Anthem has informed its brokers that its member data was acccessed, and information about its clients could be among the data.
The VCDSA brokers are working closely with Anthem to better understand the impact on its members. Here is what we do know.
- Once Anthem determined it was the victim of a cyber attack, it immediately notified federal law enforcement officials and shared the indicators of compromise.
- Anthem's Information Security has worked to eliminate any further vulnerability and continues to secure all of its data.
- Anthem immediately began a forensic IT investigation to determine the number of impacted consumers and to identify the type of information accessed. The investigations are still taking place.
- The information accessed includes member names, member health ID numbers/Social Security numbers, dates of birth, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and employment information, including income data. Social Security numbers were included in only a subset of the universe of consumers that were impacted.
- Anthem is still working to determine which members' Social Security numbers were accessed.
- Anthem's investigation to date shows that no credit card or confidential health information was accessed.
- Anthem has advised us there is no indication at this time that any of our members personal information has been misused.
- All impacted Anthem members will be enrolled in identity repair services.In addition, impacted members will be provided information on how to enroll in free credit monitoring.Our brokers are continuing to work closely with Anthem to better understand the cyber attack and the impact on our members. Anthem has created a website (www.anthemfacts.com, link attached for "AnthemFacts") and a hotline for members to call for more information (877-263-7995). Anthem has also shared Frequently Asked Questions (www.anthemfacts.com/faq, link attached for "AnthemFAQ") for more information. We will continue to keep you updated as we receive more info about Anthem's ongoing investigation.
Please contact JHC Benefits at 805-644-9678 if you have any questions.